Desert Sand Mica

Whatever, just crash it Bob...

8.23.2003

Oh, boy. Water World was great fun. If wasn't very busy, but we didn't really ride anything anyway. I read all day, and finished about half of a new book, "Ecology of a Cracker Childhood." It's really good. From Amazon:

The scrubby forests of southern Georgia, dotting a landscape of low hills and swampy bottoms, are not what many people would consider to be exalted country, the sort of place to inspire lyrical considerations of nature and culture. Yet that is just what essayist Janisse Ray delivers in her memorable debut, a memoir of life in a part of America that roads and towns have passed by, a land settled by hardscrabble Scots herders who wanted nothing more than to be left alone, and who bear the derogatory epithet "cracker" with quiet pride.
Ray grew up in a junkyard outside what had been longleaf pine forest, an ecosystem that has nearly disappeared in the American South through excessive logging. Her family had little money, but that was not important; they more than made up for material want through unabashed love and a passion for learning, values that underlie every turn of Ray's narrative. She finds beauty in weeds and puddles, celebrates the ways of tortoises and woodpeckers, and argues powerfully for the virtues of establishing a connection with one's native ground.


Just got done with "Dress Codes" and passed that on to Dy. From Publisher's Weekly:
In this rich memoir, Noelle Howey details not one life, but three. It's a difficult juggling act, but it pays off beautifully, for the story of her father's coming out as a male-to-female transsexual is only part of a larger narrative of growing up female in America. Howey's writing is neither sensationalistic nor condescendingly cheery; this is a loving portrait of a girl's complicated relationship to her father's femininity and her own.

I highly recommend either. Good books lately. Denny also sent along HP5 for me via Dy, that will be next.

I couldnt go to Laura and Denny's art opening in the Springs, because I had to take Daniel to Conifer, then right after Dy left..(I mean right after) Dan called and said he got called into work, and Daniel wasn't going up anyway. Bah! On the up side, Daniel is out and about, and everyone is GONE! Gone, I say! The couple of hours of an empty house will be soo nice. Im going to languish in the tub, and then put in a movie.

I know, I know. I whine when no one is here, and I whine when everyone is here. I guess just too much of anything is a bad thing. I'll be glad when everyone gets home, but I'm gonna take advantage for now. Don't call me, I ain't answerin!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home