Desert Sand Mica

Whatever, just crash it Bob...

1.07.2004

So Dy, Laura and Debra's mom found their blogs. (one mom, they're sisters) I bet the phone lines were buzzing after that little tidbit came out. lol. I was surprised all their archives were still up. Not that they have anything much to worry about, it's just a knee jerk reaction when someone you didn't intend to be reading, suddenly starts reading. I've had to do it several times.

Mark was standing here when I read Dy's post about the whole thing. He laughed and wondered if they would all close their blogs down for good now, or start writing in a furtive manner. I hope not.

We segued into talking about my mom reading my blog, and how it doesn't censor me one bit. He said (accurately) that that's because if I say something negative about my family in my blog, I've likely already said it in person, or would have - and that I make no excuses for my candidness.

Being blunt and completely up-front is a good thing, and a bad thing sometimes. You are more likely to hurt someone's feelings, but people always know where they stand with me. If you've pissed me off, hurt my feelings, or irritated me in some way, you likely will be confronted.

I don't know where this behavior came from, but it is decidedly blatant. I just know with 100% certainty that life is easier when you confront things and people head on. I will not hesistate to affront salespeople, waitresses, friends, family, strangers, other people's children - no one is exempt. I remember when Mark and I first started dating, he couldn't believe how openly confrontational I was, and brought it up frequently. He loved it. He said he'd never been with or even been around someone who was so forthright. Besides the fact that he never has to question my true feelings, it keeps arguments and disagreements on an even keel, too - because you're never dancing around the real issue.

By the same token, I will freely offer compliments when called for. The same rule applies - waitresses, retail clerks, whatever. I will be as equally generous with positive dialogue as I am with negative.

I went to Laura's website, as opposed to her weblog - and saw that she had some blogs linked there with a little description, including mine. She described me as smart and funny (oh you is so sweet!) and sometimes caustic. I suppose caustic is an ok description, Merriam-Webster says it's akin to the words mean, acrid, and stingingly incisive. And I say, it's because the truth hurts sometimes.

Anyway, I hope the girls have gotten over the initial shock of mom stumbling into their place in cyberspace. Remember the episode of Seinfeld when George's fiance Susan started to edge into the tight knit group of Jerry, Elaine and Kramer?

George: "This is not good. World's are colliding! You have no idea of the magnitude of this thing. If she is allowed to infiltrate this world, then George Costanza as you know him, ceases to exist! You see, right now, I have Relationship George, but there is also Independent George. That's the George you know, the George you grew up with --Movie George, Coffee Shop George, Liar George, Bawdy George."

Jerry: "I love that George."

George: "Me too! And he's dying Jerry! If Relationship George walks through this door, he will kill Independent George! A George, divided against itself, cannot stand!"


It had to have felt a lot like that at first. But hey, it might even be a good thing in the long run, after the initial freakiness wears off.

They should just be happy their mom has learned to "google"!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home